Click to Home

Go To Search

About GPD
 Police Dept 1960.jpg
Greensburg Police Officers 1962
L-R: Omar Edwards, A.T. "Tom" Wright, Dallas "Bucket" Franklin, and Oscar Paxton
Greensburg Police Department was established June 20 1950.  Ben Yarberry (Town Marshal) and Omar Edwards (Town Night Watchman) were retained as policemen along with a salary increase to $200.00 a month.  George Brockman was named Chief of Police, at the same salary as the officers.  The City of Greensburg purchased a 1950 Ford police car for $1700.00 from Goff - Sullivan Motor Company in Greensburg.  

AN ORDINANCE ESTABLISHING A POLICE DEPARTMENT IN THE CITY OF GREENSBURG AS GREENSBURG IS NOW A CITY OF THE FIFTH CLASS.

            WHEREAS, The City of Greensburg has recently become a city of the Fifth Class, and

            Whereas, it is necessary to establish a Police Department by ordinance, now The City Council of the City of Greensburg, Kentucky, does ordain as follows:

            Section 1 – The City of Greensburg does hereby establish a police department for the City of Greensburg.  

            Section 2 – The Department shall consist of two or more members, one of which members shall be known as the Chief of Police who shall have command over the other police.

            Section 3 – The duties and powers of the police shall and are hereby designated by Ordinances of the City of Greensburg and by the laws of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, and by direction of the city council and its mayor.

            Section 4 – The bond of the chief of police shall be in the sum of $2,000.00, while the bond of each other member of the police force shall be in the sum of $1,000.00.  Said bonds shall run to the State.

            Section 5 – The term of office for each policeman shall be for a period of not longer duration than two years, and shall be subject to removal at the pleasure of the Council

            Approved and adopted this June 20, 1950.

                                                                                                                                                               L. VICTOR HENDERSON, Mayor                                                           C. E. GRAHAM, Clerk


   


 


 

Bridging the Past and the Future